Have you ever noticed that sometimes the preparation for a home remodel project takes a bit longer than the project itself? More importantly, have you ever noticed that the more you prepare, the better the project turns out?
If you’re like most people, you’ve found yourself on top of a ladder only to realize that you’re out of screws or nails or some other minor item that has you stopping and running out to the local hardware store.
There is a better way to prep a room for hanging new drywall. Here are some tips to help you.
- Make sure your electrical work is one hundred percent complete. You do not want to have to even think about opening a wall or making a hole once your drywall is put up.
- Make sure your plumbing work is complete as well. Don’t forget to consider things such as your cable, internet, and telephone too. Have you insulated your pipes properly to ensure no issues will occur in the future?
- Be sure that you have proper ventilation in the room you are working in; the room temperature should basically be around 55 degrees F. When it comes to ventilation, you need to be aware that there will be a lot of what is known as drywall dust. You can use a respirator or a dust mask – whatever you feel is best for your needs.
- Goggles are essential as well. Dust particles will be everywhere and you want to protect your eyes at all times. Make certain you are wearing clothing that you will most likely discard afterward too.
- Pay attention to where the wall studs are on both the ceiling and the flooring, and mark them accordingly.
- Have all your tools handy. Make sure you have the appropriate supplies on hand too. You do not want to be up on the ladder and realize you are short of materials, supplies or tools.
- Place drop cloths on the floors of the room you are using. This will minimize the amount of vacuuming you will have to do. Every single nook and cranny will be covered in dust from your drywall project. You want to be sure that you cover the floors to make your job easier when it comes to clean-up.
- Talking of clean-up, do not forget to think about this when you are preparing the room. Make sure you have your vacuum up and running and that you have extra vacuum bags, garbage bags, and microfiber cloths.
- Check out your ladder too. You do not want to do a job that requires you to stand on a ladder to reach the ceiling to sand down corners and find out that it is not sturdy. Make sure you are safe at all times.
- If you are doing work in a condo or co-op, make certain to check out their policies and procedures. And if you own your own home, check with your local codes.
Consider all that you can to get your room prepped and ready for the home remodel project – from the paperwork necessary to do the job to the garbage bags needed to complete it.
Not the do-it-yourself type? Call Home Remodel Experts of Myrtle Beach for a free estimate to have your drywall project done for you.
Home Remodel Experts
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577